Chances are that if you live or shop in Amsterdam, particularly in the Oud-Zuid neighborhood, you shop at fashion boutique Buise on the Cornelis Schuytstraat. With a great selection of brands, including Paul & Joe/Sister, Isabel Marant Etoile, Joseph, Malene Birger and Schumacher, it’s the go-to store for some of the country’s best dressed women. Buise’s founder and owner, Michelle Buise, is the perfect ambassador for her store. With the build of a fashion model, this willowy blond wears her clothes like no other. She has a great eye for timeless fashion, her taste veering towards the eclectic and bohemian. In light of this, we decided to visit her at her home in Laren and pick her brain. Following, a Q&A with this arbiter of style.
1. Name your favorite chair, design genius and interior designer.
The egg-chair, Frank Lloyd Wright, Geoffrey van Hulle.
2. Which beauty product would you never leave the house without?
Helena Rubenstein’s Magic Concealer. It does wonders for the under-eye area and I’ve been using it for ages.
3. What is always in your bag?
My orange Sloane Stationery diary. I never use my iPhone as a day planner. For me, it’s always been pen and paper. That’s not going to change.
4. What is your favorite holiday destination?
The Breakers in Palm Beach
5. What is your favorite restaurant in Amsterdam or any other city?
In Amsterdam it’s The George on the Willemsparkweg, in Lech it’s Hüs 8, and in New York I love Le Bilboquet.
6. What is your favorite house cleaning trick?
One word: Glassex.
7. What is your favorite movie?
Mamma Mia is great for the family, just plain, simple fun. The best movie, though, is The Butler, which I just saw on the plane and which I loved.
8. Which book are you reading right now?
“Toen ik je zag” (When I saw you) by Isa Hoes and “De Wertheims” by Sylvia Tennenbaum.
9. What is your favorite fashion label?
10. What is your favorite high street label?
Zara and J. Crew.
11. What is the worst purchase you ever made?
A pair of stacked heels that my husband hated. He actually threatened not to leave the house with me if I kept them on!
12. Which fashion trend do you hope never comes back?
The 80s as a whole. What an unflattering decade!
13. Which shoe brand do you love?
14. What constitutes the perfect jeans?
A little stretch.
15. What is the one item of clothing that every woman should invest in?
A good pair of jeans. I am, after all, a jeans girl at heart.
16. If you could have dinner with any fashion designer, interior designer, architect or decorator, who would you choose?
Dinner with Tory Burch. I love her style.
17. If you could live in any house in the world, which would it be?
(laughing) My own! But I suppose I wouldn’t mind living at Le Hameau – Marie Antoinette’s bucolic folly in Versailles – either!